…said the excited 11 year old Patrick. I said, “If you guys want the little black one, you pay the adoption fee.” And so it happened. The “little black one”, named Mindy (short for Midnight) by a very proud, 8 year old Phillip, was ours.
Mindy died today. We became her humans 8 years ago last week. Her kidneys failed. Again. This time for good.
She leaves behind, Katrina Greycat, Tintin, and Matty Cat (her mentor and best friend). And us.
I guess today, people are supposed to resolve to do (or not do) things that will, perhaps, change the quality of their lives for the better. Usually, these are somewhat generic ideas with little real meaning. You know…I will lose weight…I will get organized…I will stop biting my nails…I will stop smoking…
For most of us, these “resolutions” are fleeting. We needed to do all of those things all along, but we chose to (mostly) ignore them. Why does changing the year on the calendar bring them to the forefront of our thinking? Maybe, it’s due to the passage of time being heralded in such a big way.
In the spirit of the day, I will share my resolve…
…to remove annoying tags from my clothing as soon as I notice them…
…to shred the shred-worthy mail the day it arrives…
…to wax my upper lip with some sort of consistency…
…to not be forced into social situations that require me to be around people with whom I do not want to spend time…
I originally wrote this list in January of 2009. It is still mostly true.
1. I procrastinate. No, really.
2. I might be a bit sarcastic.
3. I have a thing for guys with long hair.
4. I REALLY miss my dad. It has been 8 years since I last saw him.
5. I have never been tired of my kids. Not once. Not ever.
6. I hate my house.
7. Flying terrifies me, but I’ll do it if I have to. Xanax.
8. I believe in God but, have no use for organized religion.
9. I played with matches with Bobby Armstrong when I was five…I NEVER did that again! I wish I could find him on Facebook, or somewhere.
10. I love slutty shoes.
11. I love Queen. Yes, still.
12. My mom died when I was ten.
13. I am not a housekeeper. I have lots of clutter. I am working on this one.
14. I have been married to the same person for 24 years. We are too lazy to fill out the paperwork for our divorce. 30 years…wow…
15. I am the middle child.
16. My children amaze me. Even more now as they move toward their adult lives.
17. On a clear night, on top of my hill, when you can see so many stars you can hardly see the sky…I sit there and stare up at the vastness of the universe in complete wonder and awe. That’s what keeps me centered. This has never been more true.
18. I enjoy the Marx Brothers.
19. I still have my favorite stuffed animal from childhood. You can read about him here.
20. I am trying to learn Italian. This did not work out so well.
21. Please do not tickle my knees!
22. I am a political junkie.
23. I have never eaten cotton candy.
24. I had fuchsia hair back in the ’80s.
25. I usually think the best time of my life is wherever I happen to be at the moment. The best time IS right now.
I do not dust my furniture until I can see footprints left by the cats. I grow cobwebs on purpose. I have seen dust bunnies the size of a baseball in my house. I keep a basket for clean socks in the living room. I do not necessarily put it away when company comes.